Eckington Parish Council
Eckington Parish is in the District of North East Derbyshire, and lies South East of Sheffield and North East of Chesterfield. The Parish consists of the villages of Eckington, Marsh Lane, Ridgeway, Troway, Renishaw and Spinkhill and contains about 5,000 households. The Parish Council consists of seventeen Councillors and holds regular Council Meetings which are open to the public. Eckington Civic Centre is used for Parish Council business and is available for hire.
To keep up to date with news and events, including job vacancies, please visit our Notice Board page.
The name Eckington is of Saxon origin, and it appears in the Domesday Survey as Echintune. The area became more developed from the mediaeval period with the exploitation of local iron and coal deposits and the growth of the manufacture of edge-tools, particularly scythes and sickles, and iron nails. Coal mining and associated industry continued well into the 20th Century and it was at the George pub in Eckington that the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Miners Association (an early Trades Union) was founded in 1865.
Eckington Parish is in a beautiful setting of undulating agricultural land together with extensive well-established woodland. Eckington woods are justly famed for their spring flowers, in particular bluebells.
Site design by Eckington Parish Council, construction & hosting services provided by Supake Ltd www.supake.co.uk Tel: 01246 826557
Eckington is a commercial centre with a number of shops, a bank, Post Office, Business Centre, Library, Civic Centre, Leisure Centre and the Church of St Peter and St Paul. There is a bustling weekly market on a Friday run by the Parish Council.